10.23.2008

gardens, dogs, and my hero

One of the best things about living at home is having a backyard.
I actually enjoy the duties of yard work. :)
I've always wanted a garden and after putting half a day into pulling weeds and turning soil I finally have one! Complete with tomatoes, sweet onions, green beans, lettuce, spearmint, strawberries, cantaloupe, and watermelon. Random, I know. :)
Unfortunately, these two rascals have been tromping through my fragile garden.

I know they look innocent, but I've watched them look at the back door before attempting to jump into the planter! When they ruined lettuce leaves and deformed the troughs with their mangy paws I had had enough and called in reinforcements!

After a quick trip to Home Depot, Paul b. the hero staked up a good looking fence and the garden has been paw-free ever since! Yay! Hip Hip Hooray!


Now if anyone knows how to keep bugs from eating my plants (especially lettuce) without using pesticides please let me know! :)

3 comments:

thesmallblondeone said...

I love when you illustrate your Oceanside happenings with pictures. :)

Oh, and the rummage sale wasn't as good as last year. I found a couple Newbery books (which reminds me to tell you to read The Westing Game, since you asked last week about good reads), the Christian Writer's Guide from 2006, finally found a Prince Caspian at a yard sale, so now I officially own the full Narnia collection (albeit in vastly different formats), and a bunch of scrapbook magazines someone gave away. All for $2, cuz I didn't feel like waiting around for the prices to go down.

James said...

Sonia, Monique, Beans!

What a treat!
I didn't know you were still blogging but I ran across this when I saw a comment from you on Pingy-Pings blog.

I'm not gonna lie, when I read this first post about your gardening, I thought you and Paul were living together! Haha, I was like either 1) they fell way from the Lord, or 2) they got married! But after further examination, and after my heart stopped beating me into a seizure, I realized that you're living way up in Oceanside. Whew, a close call.

Well shoot, it's good to hear a little bit about your life.

Tell that boy of yours to shave his dirty mug.

Jugs!

Lopez said...

I LOVE your garden!! You must show me how to grow one Roommate!