9.30.2008

when september ends

Green Day has a song called 'when September Ends'...some of the song's lyrics go like this:
Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends
Today September ends. Here are some of the things I will leave in September:
  • My cousin Baby coming to join our family from the Philippines
  • Job searching
  • The first time I went to a Dodger game with just my bro and I
  • The start of the 2008 football season
  • My childhood friend Bing's monk-for-a-month ordination (sounds like a new reality show!)
  • More job searching
  • My uncle's birthday party
  • Finding out my beloved stepdad has cancer
  • Joining my first growth group (small group) with North Coast Church 20somethings
  • Weed-wacking the entire front and backyard all by myself and having a spiritual experience while doing it
  • Even more job searching
  • Walking and talking on the beach with Paul b.
  • The end of summer and beginning of autumn
  • Cousin Baby's 14th birthday party
  • Season premiere of The Office season 5
  • Reconnecting with 3 childhood friends via myspace
  • Wii & Office party extravaganza at Jared's
  • Movies: Hamlet 2: don't recommend; Burn After Reading: don't recommend; Fireproof: definite recommend
  • Waterballoonfest 2004-2008 with Paul b.
  • Still no job...(so maybe I won't leave job searching in September!)
And September couldn't have ended better with dinner with my stepdad at our favorite Johnny Mananas and complete with dessert at Dairy Queen. Tomorrow he heads to China for treatment.

Summer has definitely came and passed.
Although summer didn't exactly take it's hot weather with it.
Today was a scorcher.
Summer and September usurped my innocence.
No more relaxing, non-working summers ahead.
No more innocence in the invincibility of my parent's health and lives.
But at the same time I feel awake as September ends...
I see that while my innocence is gone, some of it still remains:
birthday parties, baseball games, friendships,
wii, water balloon fights, walks on the beach,
love, hope, and grace.

Added Soapbox:
Every year brings new seasons whether they are welcomed or not. (I have a friend who mainly welcomes Summer. And why wouldn't she?) But each season is like a stepping stone to the next season. We need autumn to allow the leaves to fall and the weather to get cooler and the forewarning of winter. We need winter to do what it does so we may have the rebirth of flowers, leaves, and the beauty of spring. Without the harsh cold winter we may not appreciate spring. And summer allows us to play in the joy of spring's graces. The same is true for each season in my life. I need each season to prepare me for the next. After all, God tells me he will never give me more than I can bear. And how can I bear much, if I haven't borne little?

No comments: