10.09.2008

false alarm (sort of)

Thankfully (3x's over!) the result of the fire was anti-climactic (I suppose compared to so cal's previous October fires). According to signonsandiego.com and Camp Pendleton's fire inspector Bill Gick, "It's looking good and is pretty much taken care of." I also read that the weather was a bit of a helper, keeping winds low and dropping the temperature. Who knows what kind of crazy disaster might have ensued had the weather not been so cooperative. :)

I woke up this morning and was surprised to see that the sky was clear and blue. There was no sign that a fire had just been raging the evening before. It kind of threw me for a loop. Yay for coastal winds and its bringing of fresh air to the masses. Although we are not out of the woods yet, word is that we are to be aware of the fact that fire season is upon us, and next week is offering high alert status.

Speaking of fire, I'll throw in a plug: I (& Paul b.) highly recommend the movie Fireproof (it's true ask him!). Paul and I watched it opening weekend--kind of on a whim for something to do and kind of b/c Paul has an issue with Kirk Cameron (not a fan!) and what better way to work on his issue than watch a two hour movie starring the actor himself!

The result: Once you get past the first five minutes of the actors getting used to the cameras it turns out to be two hours well spent. The theater was packed and there was laughter, tears, sniffling, and cheers. The writers cover ALL the bases for effectively getting a message across that brings truth gracefully to broken people (broken people being you, me, and our neighbor). Watch it, you'll know what I mean, or just ask me later. Actually, if you watch it, let me know and maybe we can talk about it over dessert (b/c dessert is way better than coffee!). I was moved, inspired, I cried like six times and Paul doesn't think Kirk Cameron is all that bad after all.

No comments: